Banking Cash & Cheques





What to do with Money and Cheques?

Some payments are in the form of cash or cheques. These should either be paid into the bank immediately after collection or handed into the Union to be stored securely in one of the Union’s safes. Contact the Union Finance Team if you need to store money in one of the Union’s safes.(All cheques must be payable to Imperial College Union)


Do not take money home with you – you are responsible for looking after your group’s money, if you lose it you will have to replace it!


How to pay in Money or Cheques

The Union has one bank account for all Clubs, Societies and Projects and all money must be paid in full (without any deductions) into this account. Never pay money into your personal account. Each group should have its own triplicate Paying In Book - if you don’t have one please collect one at the Union or the Helpdesk. The paying-in slip should be completed as shown below, placing carbon paper between the original and each of the two copies.

Once you have completed the paying-in slip, take the book and the money to any branch of NatWest where the cashier will stamp each of the three slips, tear off the first copy and hand you the book back. Do not use the quick deposit box as the book must be stamped. You need to record the income which has been paid into the bank on eActivities within 3 working days after it has been banked.

How to raise a Banking Record

To submit Banking Records go to Finance > Income > Banking Records 

The screen below will appear. If applicable enter the paying-in slip number from the paying-in book and the date on which it was paid into the bank. Further down the page select the Paying-In Slip tab. Inside the paying-in book, you will have a stamped duplicate paying-in slip, scan this paying-in slip and click Upload File to upload it.

In rare cases, a bank transfer is required, e.g. donations. Choose the 'bank transfer' type and upload correct documentation, like the donation letter.

Next, select the Banking Lines tab. Fill in all the boxes to describe what the income relates to and what account codes should be used. If the money which has been paid into the bank relates to more than one item then create multiple lines on the form. If you have received cash or a cheque in payment for a sales invoice you have created, then you MUST note the invoice number in the description box.

What happens next

Income will automatically appear on the Club, Society or Project’s transaction pages once the online Banking Records form has been completed. The amounts will appear as temporary transaction lines in light blue. Once the amounts have been checked by the Union Finance Team for the correct VAT codes they will change to the standard white or grey background.

If you have any queries please contact the Union Finance Team.

Loading, please wait  

Report a problem