Coding & VAT

Value Added Tax (VAT) is a tax charged on most goods or services sold within the UK, imported into the UK or acquired from the EU. The Union is a VAT registered organisation, this includes the activities of Clubs, Societies & Projects. When any part of the Union sells a product to a consumer (for example to your Club, Society or Project members), it must charge the appropriate amount of VAT. When the Union purchases goods or services from another VAT registered organisation, it pays VAT on those purchases, known as Input Tax. This is recoverable from the HMRC provided you retain a VAT receipt or invoice - the Union can reclaim VAT for your Club, Society or Project providing it has the correct receipts (with the exception of Sports Clubs).

Gross & Net Amounts

The price displayed on products in all high street shops in the UK includes VAT. This is known as the gross amount. The net amount is price excluding VAT. The relationship is demonstrated in the example below: Different rates of VAT apply to different products – you should always ask for a receipt showing clearly the VAT rates and amounts charged if the supplier is VAT registered.

VAT Documentation

In order to recover the VAT on our expenditure we must have evidence that we have paid VAT. There are different requirements depending on the amount. For expenditure less than £250.00 the receipt/invoice must show the following:

If the amount is greater than £250 we need a full VAT invoice which, in addition to the above, must also show:

Some companies do not produce VAT receipts automatically. If one is not provided you should always request one.

Report a problem