Imprests & Cash Floats


When goods/services must be paid for by cash, it is possible to obtain an advance of money from the Union called an Imprest. These can only be given to full members of the Union (current students) who agree to take full personal responsibility for the amount advanced. Imprests are commonly used when on tour for motorway tolls, accommodation or where foreign currency is required.

The process from the point of requesting an Imprest is outlined below:

To request an Imprest login to eActivities and navigate to Finance > Expenditure > Imprests

You will need to select bank details to receive the imprest (if you have not registered bank details before see Registering your Bank Details section in the Claims chapter of this manual), the total amount required, the date you will return any unspent funds/provide receipts for purchases made from the imprests and any notes you feel are relevant.

Complete the details of the description, account, activity, funding and consolidation codes together with the Gross (inc. VAT) Unit Price and quantity for each item you are ordering, in line with the supplier’s quote where applicable. When you have finished click Commit.

Uploading Requests

Once you have returned from your trip/tour you will need to submit all the receipts for your purchases.

Return to the original imprest in Finance > Expenditure > Imprests > Authorised Imprests and upload scans of the receipts.

Returning Unspent Money

If you have not spent all of the imprest money you will need to return this to the Union – the simplest way to do this is to arrange a bank transfer to the Union’s account with the payment reference “Imprest XX”, where XX is the number of the Imprest (shown in brackets after the word “Imprest” on eActivities). Please then email If you are unsure of how to do this or would like to return the funds by cash/cheque please contact the Union Finance Team.

The Union's account number is 00618152 and sort code is 51-50-01

Cash Floats

If you require a cash float for an event, e.g. selling tickets on the door for a show, you should contact the Union Finance Team who can arrange the required float if contacted at least one week before the event.

Loading, please wait  

Report a problem