This section will cover:
Our processes are designed so that you will never be out of pocket as a result of volunteering with or via Imperial College Union.
If your group does not have enough funds, we cannot process the claim and individual students may be left out of pocket. We encourage all societies to submit large amounts via PO or credit card requests rather than claims.
Note: The Union will not reimburse expenditure of less than £5, either for payments to individuals or companies. If you have an item under £5 to claim, save it to claim with your next item.
Union's Claims Procedures
- Claim forms are for use by Club, Society or Project members to claim back personal money spent on behalf of Club, Society or Project.
- Claim forms must be submitted using the eActivities online system by all full members of the union. A paper form will be provided for associate members unable to access eActivities.
- Claimants are required to provide evidence for their expenditure. The acceptable forms of evidence are listed on the Suitable VAT evidence page.
- Claims are authorised as per the Authorisation Limits listed in the finance training manuals.
- Those approving a claim should thoroughly check the evidence and VAT details before approving. Claims approved without sufficient evidence should be investigated by the Deputy President (Finance & Services).
- Approved claims should be paid by BACS by the Finance Department within five College days.
- Any claims that are considered erroneous by the Finance Department will be placed on hold and the claimant contacted to resolve the issue. Suspected fraudulent claims will investigated by the Deputy President (Finance & Services).
Making a claim - Registering bank details
Making a claim
Committed claims cannot be edited once submitted but they can be cancelled.
Approval should not take more than 5 working days between authorsations. Please check your claim details to see who you are waiting on authorisation from if you experience delay.
Once a claim has been approved and sent for payment, you will be paid directly by automatic money transfer (BACS) within 3-5 working days.
Types of evidence
The following documents constitute evidence to support a claim:
Full details of the requirements for different types of receipts are given on the Suitable VAT evidence page. Please ensure that the receipts you provide are printed and not handwritten. The Union will only accept handwriting receipts in exceptional circumstances.
Other purchase documentation:
Other documents which describe the expenditure clearly. If these documents do not meet the requirements for VAT then VAT cannot be reclaimed. Examples could be purchase confirmation emails.
Bank or credit card statements
These can only be used in support of other forms of evidence where it is not clear from those documents who made the purchase.
Receipts not in sterling
Evidence for expenditure not made in sterling should have the exchange rate on the purchase date written on them.
In rare circumstances you may not be able to provide any of the above documents to support your claim, in this case please contact the Deputy President (Finance & Services).