Know your subject inside and out
Be sure to have a clear idea of the following:
- Your manifesto
- Your headline aims and policies
- What you are going to say and why you are saying it
The more you know your subject, the more confident you will be in delivering your content, and the more you will connect with your audience.
Know your audience
- What are the issues pertaining to the individual or groups of students you are talking to?
- Are they Undergraduate or Postgraduate taught/research students?
- Do they live on campus or commute to Imperial?
- What is their background, what characteristics influence their experience as a student?
- What subjects are they studying?
Practice, practice, practice
Practice your main messages in front of the mirror, with your friends, etc.
Pay attention to your:
- Vocal pitch
- Non-verbal cues in your body language