Tour finances

In this article we will cover:


Even if you are not applying for tour subsidy (see Recognition as a tour) you should still write a budget. This gives you and your members an accurate estimate of how much the trip or tour will cost.

This budget will need to be approved by your Management Group Treasurer and, more than likely, the Deputy President (Finance & Services). If you want to spend any money before your tour has been approved you must complete an event budget. Guidance on writing budgets for trips and tours can be found in the Event Finances collection.


During the trip you may need to pay for small outlays, particularly during overseas trips. These may include venue hire, parking, or food for participants.

If you are traveling to remote areas, even in the UK, remember that not all places are like London and cash points may be difficult to find. Plan ahead and take enough money with you. You should work out the trip costs as soon as possible after your return. Don’t forget to include any vehicle hire or fuel purchased with the Union’s fuel cards.

The sooner you can let the participants know how much they owe or are owed the easier it is for them to budget for the cost.

Advances of money from your Club, Society or Project accounts are available in the form of an imprest. More details of this process are available in the Imprests and cash flows article.

Do you need help?

Management Group Committee/ Constituent Union Commitee: Your MG Chair/CU Committee is trained to help you with this topic. Please find your relevant contact here.

Union Email Contact: 

Contact: Student Activities Coordinator (Development & Events)

121 Session: Available for this topic, book here.

Loading, please wait  

Report a problem