This article covers the following topics:
What is Marshalling?
Marshalling is the process of controlling, leading, or organising a number of people or things.
Marshalling is often required for events that are open to the general public and/or are considered 'large-scale'. Having marshals at an event is important to both ensure the health and safety of attendees and to manage on-the-day logistics.
Marshals are responsible for fire safety, building security, checking tickets, manning the entry route to the event and any emergency situations that may arise. If you are trained as a marshal, it is your responsibility to confidently guide people to safety in the event of an emergency.
Stewards will be required if an event includes the consumption of alcohol, or takes place within the Union Building with >100 people present.
The number of marshals normally required is shown in the table below.
Number of Attendees
Number of Marshals
|100 - 250||3|
|251 - 500||4|
|501 - 750||5|
|51 - 1000||6|
The Deputy President (Clubs & Societies), College Security and the College Fire Office may stipulate that Union stewards or College Security Officers are present at an event, for which there may be a charge. This will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
The Union stock a number of 'marshalling packs' for your designated marshals to use for the duration of the event or activity. Each pack contains:
- High visibility jacket (x2)
- Clickers (to count attendees in and out – to prevent overcrowding)
- Tape measure
Pack Booking Process
You can book marshalling packs online via eActivities. Make sure you have followed the following steps by the time your event takes place:
- Decide on the number of marshals you will need (depends on the expected number of attendees, as shown above).
- Volunteer(s) must read the marshalling guide and then take the associated Marshalling quiz.
- Once the volunteer(s) have passed the quiz they can book out a pack (you should only need 1 pack between 2 marshals).
- Once approved, visit the Union Reception on the day chosen in your booking to collect.
- Return the pack after your event.
To access the quiz, go:
To book a pack from the Union, go: